Saturday, February 18, 2012

Whole wheat banana muffins

These aren't your typical whole wheat banana muffins, they are sweetened with honey and the oil is replaced with homemade applesauce.  Last fall I made a batch of applesauce specifically for freezing to make in breads.  I froze the applesauce in 1/2 cup portions in individual ziploc bags.  It comes in handy on cold, rainy days like today when all I want to do is bake.  I actually had intentions of sowing peas in my garden today, but it is bitterly cold outside.  So instead, I spent some time in the kitchen.


The recipe for the muffins can be found here.  I followed the recipe with a couple of additions.  I added a tsp. of vanilla to the wet ingredients and 1 tsp. of cinnamon to the dry ingredients.  Also, I made muffins instead of a loaf, it cut the cooking time by about 40 minutes.  I'd recommend checking on them after 15 minutes, just stick a toothpick in the center of a muffin and if it comes out clean, they're ready!  These were pretty tasty, but if you have a super sweet tooth, you may want to add a couple of tablespoons to the dry ingredients. 

2 comments:

  1. im hooked on your posts. i wish i would have seen this one about an hour ago. Currently in our oven is sugar sweetened, same-ole, banana bread. Oh well. Next time.

    ReplyDelete