Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Vegetable pot pie

Oh comfort food...how yummy you taste on a cold snowy day.  Though, I've been known to make this dish in Summertime too.  I make a double crusted pie, and modify a Martha Stewart recipe that I have used before.  I usually put shredded chicken in my pot pie, but I just ran out of time last night.  If you've never made your own pie crust before, it's way easier than you would think and so much tastier than store bought crust.  I make my pie dough in the food processor and it takes about two minutes.

Double pie crust:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1/4 - 1/2 cup ice cold water

Combine flour and salt in the bowl of food processor and pulse a couple of times.  Add in the cubed butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal. 


With the processor on, add in the water in a steady stream and pulse just until the dough holds together. 


 The dough will look crumbly, that's normal. 


Divide dough in half and shape into two discs, chill in the fridge while you make the filling for your pie.  While your filling is cooking, roll out the first disc of dough and gently press inside the pie pan.

This carrot was planted last Summer.  I love planting carrots, they are tasty and I'm ensured at least a little bit of homegrown goodness in January and February.  They will stay in the ground without rotting all winter. 

 For the filling:

Dice up 1/4 of a large onion and whatever other vegetables you want in your pie.  I cut up one very large carrot and 3 celery stalks.  Next cook veggies in a skillet over med/high heat for 8-10 minutes.  Add 1/4 cup flour and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
 
Gradually add 2 1/2 cups of milk (I used 1 1/2 cups of low fat milk and 1 cup of half and half)  and cook, stirring until mixture thickens.  Once it's thick, remove from heat and stir in peas and corn.  Season with 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and I like to use about 1 tsp of Kirkland's no salt seasoning mix.  I have a bit of a thing going with feta cheese these days, so I went ahead and added a bit of that on top of the mixture.  Then roll out the other disc of dough put it on top, pinch the ends together and cut vents in the top of the pie crust. 

 Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.  Let cool for a few minutes before serving and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment