Friday, February 17, 2012

Healthy granola

We don't keep boxed cereal in the house, not when we can have homemade, healthy, and delicious granola instead.  I make this granola often, and it's a little different every time depending on the ingredients I have on hand.  Here's my recipe:

 5 cups of old-fashioned rolled oats
1-2 cups of chopped or flaked almonds
1 cup of raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup of sesame or flax seeds
1 cup of unsweetened coconut (if I have sweetened in my cupboard I'll use that too)

Mix all of these ingredients in a very large bowl.  In another bowl whisk together:

1/2 cup of honey or maple syrup (or both) sometimes I'll add in a little bit of molasses too
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp vanilla









Whisk these ingredients together until thoroughly mixed.  Pour into the dry ingredients and stir until it's completely mixed in.  Spread into a large baking pan and bake at 225 for 2 hours.  I check mine every 30 minutes or so to stir and taste test to make sure it doesn't get overdone.  About 20 minutes before taking the granola out of the oven, stir in one cup of dried fruit, I usually use craisins.



Enjoy and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment