Monday, March 19, 2012

Shepard's Pie

I LOVE one dish meals.  I love that the cleanup is minimal, they are usually pretty easy to make, and I just really like stuffing as many vegetables as I can into one dish!

Here is my recipe for Shepard's pie:

4-5 potatoes (I used two Yukon Gold, and three red potatoes)
1 pound ground turkey (or beef)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion chopped
2-3 carrots chopped
2-3 stalks of celery chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter

Dice and boil potatoes in large pot.  While the potatoes are cooking....

In a large pan, add oil and ground turkey and season with a bit of salt and pepper (a few shakes of each). Cook turkey all the way through and set aside.  In same pan, add in onion, carrots, and celery.  Cook for about five minutes and then add the corn and peas. Cook for a couple of minutes and add the turkey back into the pan.  Season with salt and pepper again, and add the Worcestershire sauce.  I also add about 1 tsp of no salt added organic seasoning from Costco ( I love that stuff).  Cook for another couple of minutes and taste the mixture.  Add more salt or pepper if need and pour into a baking dish.  You can use an 8x8 dish, or any medium sized casserole dish.  I like to sprinkle feta (or whatever cheese sounds good) over the top of the meat mixture, before the potatoes go on top.


Boil potatoes until fork tender, drain liquid, and return the potatoes to the pan.  Season with salt and pepper, and 2 tbsp butter.  Mash with a potato masher if you like the potatoes a little chunkier, if you like it smooth, whip them up with a mixer.  Spoon potatoes over meat mixture evenly, and bake at 400 degrees until bubbling and brown.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment