Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tortilla pizza

My family has been sick off and on for about a month now, so I've had quite a few "what are going to have for dinner tonight" thoughts at 4:30 in the afternoon.  I didn't have anything thawed out or planned for dinner one night and I really wanted pizza.  It was too late to make dough, but I did have flour tortillas, so I made tortilla pizza. It was kind of more like an Italian tostada, whatever you call it, it was yummy.  I had all of the ingredients on hand, and it took less than 20 minutes to make this meal.

Tortilla Pizza:

4 flour or whole wheat tortillas
1 can no salt added tomato sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Pizza toppers (I just used whatever I had on hand, peppers and onions)

Homemade Pizza sauce:

Pour tomato sauce into bowl, add 1/4 tsp garlic salt, a few shakes of pepper, 1/2 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp dried oregano.  Mix together and taste the sauce to see if you need to anything else.  I always taste and add more of something.  If you like a thicker sauce for your pizza, you can mix in a little tomato paste too.  You could also use pesto for the sauce, I have a recipe for a yummy pesto here.



Preheat oven to 450 degrees, and brush both sides of flour tortillas with oil.  Place on cookie sheet and cook until tortilla puff up and just start to brown...it doesn't take very long (less than five minutes), so check often.  Top your pizzas with tomato sauce, pizza toppers, and cheese.  Bake for another five minutes or so, until the cheese is melted.  Enjoy!


Preheat oven to 450 degrees, and brush both sides of flour tortillas with oil.  Place on cookie sheet and cook until tortilla puff up and just start to brown...it doesn't take very long (less than five minutes), so check often.  Top your pizzas with tomato sauce, pizza toppers, and cheese.  Bake for another five minutes or so, until the cheese is melted.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment