Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins



With my rhubarb going crazy, and the first of my strawberries ripening, I knew I had to make some kind of strawberry rhubarb combination.  I was thinking of incorporating these two into an overnight baked french toast, which I'll still try at some point, but I decided on muffins...just because they are super easy.  These are not very sweet, and have quite a bit of tartness due to the rhubarb, so if you like a sweeter muffin, you can replace the agave with brown sugar. 

 
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup agave nectar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup oats
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped fresh rhubarb
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries 
2 tbsp finely chopped hazelnuts (just because I had them, you could use pecans or walnuts or nothing)
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 425F. In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, barking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in oats. Gently mix in the egg, milk and oil until just combined. Stir in rhubarb and strawberries.  Pour into a greased muffin tin, and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts. Bake for 12-15 minutes.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment